The Haryana Academy of History and Culture came into being in July 2006, initially as the Centre of Haryana History Culture and Social Development and as a part of the Haryana Institute of Public Administration (HIPA) Gurgaon (now Gurugram). Some time later (27 July 2010) the Government of Haryana changed and restructured the Centre as the Haryana Academy of History & Culture. Finally on 7th June, 2013 the Government of Haryana vide a Gazette Notification gave to the Academy its autonomous statutory character. In July 2016, the Government ordered relocation of the Academy from Gurugram to Kurukshetra. The Academy is now fully functional from its new location, the Gulzari Lal Nanda Centre, Arjun Chowk, Brahma Sarovar, Kurukshetra – 136118.
Prof. K.C. Yadav was the founding Director and held office till November 2014. By his hard work and vision the Academy came to have an excellent library, records and basic infrastructure. Several projects were started and publications undertaken.
The basic idea as reflected in the Academy’s Aims and Objectives is to undertake meaningful research in the form of quality publications, focussed research and field projects on Haryana’s history and culture with emphasis remaining interdisciplinary.
Aims & Objectives
- To conduct interdisciplinary research on various aspects of Haryana’s history, culture, and economic development and social change;
- To conduct meticulous field work to unearth and assemble the historical and cultural material relating to various aspects of life in the State through the ages ;
- To undertake projects and prepare scholarly books, monographs, reports, research papers, etc,
- To set up a specialized and multi-faceted library and repository of records/ documents;
- To network and build partnership with various institutions and organizations working in and outside the State in line with the aims and objectives of the Academy
- To organize seminars, conferences, workshops, special lectures, etc.;
- To create database systems for information, exchange and dissemination of knowledge and publish newsletters and reports periodically;
- To acquire movable or immovable property for the Academy with the approval of the State Government; and
- To undertake any other work as may be required in furtherance of the aims and objectives of the Academy.